Our client, with headquarters in Munich / Germany, is a global player in the field of camshaft drives, chains and system parts for automotive engines. For its U.S. operations in Troy, Michigan the company is looking for a
The Design Engineer reports to the General Manager of the U.S. subsidiary.
Profile / Responsibilities:
• The Design Engineer is the first technical contact person for US customers. In this role, the Design Engineer collects the technical specification and requirements from the customer, filters for most important subjects, and communicates the technical requirements to the company's headquarter in Munich / Germany.
• Following initial job training, the Design Engineer is able to solve basic chain drive issues without guidance, and to guide the customer during the concept phase of a new project. The Design Engineer is able to react to simple design changes, and creates first technical concepts, with minimal guidance from Munich.
• This includes all automotive industry customers in USA.
• The Design Engineer gives basic assistance in chain drive development to existing, and especially to new customers. In this role, the Design Engineer develops relationships with the development departments of the company's customers, and identifies new project opportunities.
• The Design Engineer accompanies the customer development teams from first request to SOP, being contact person for technical questions regarding design, calculation and testing, and coordinates activities with the company's German headquarters in Munich.
• Performance or Organization of the following (examples): Detailed design studies, product specifications, simulation and calculation, testing - in close coordination with headquarters in Germany.
• Project Management, based on customer-specific APQP needs.
• Improve customer service.
• University degree in mechanical engineering
• minimum of three years design experience in the automotive industry
• Knowledge of automotive customers standards and requirements
• Knowledge of engines and timing drives would be a plus
• fluent English
• Strong oral and written communication skills, for reports and customer interaction
• Minimum of three years experience with 3D design system UG NX
• German language skills a plus
• Due to interaction levels and issues handled, strong interpersonal / negotiating / communication skills in dealing with upper-level management.