Living and Working in Germany: Work Permit FAQ

Legal Disclaimer - please note:

The information available on this website to the public does not constitute legal advice. No information contained on this web site, associated sites, communications, email, or other sources or communications should be taken as legal advice or legal opinion for any individual case or situation. Immigration laws, regulations, and policies are subject to change, compliance with standards and procedures depends on the particular circumstances. Internet subscribers and online readers are advised to consult with an immigration attorney prior to taking action on their case.

Below the form, you will find answers to frequently asked questions on how to work in Germany as an American.

See also: Jobs with American Companies in Germany

Would you like to receive FREE advice from leading experts on how to find a job with German and American companies, and get notified about new career opportunities in the U.S. or in Germany / Austria / Switzerland? Sign up here! Promised: NO spam. Also, there will be a link to "opt out" in every message, if you feel there's too much mail coming your way.

Subscribe to Germany-USA Career News

* indicates required

Residence & Work Permit

Residence & Work Permit

Q. How can I obtain a German residence permit?

U.S. citizens in possession of a valid U.S. passport do not need a visa for airport transit, tourist or business trips for stays up to 90 days. All persons who wish to stay in Germany for more than 90 days are required to obtain a residence permit.

If you intend to stay longer than 90 days, you are required to register at the local Standesamt – Einwohnermeldeamt (Registration Office) within one week of arrival.

Citizens of the United States of America may apply for their residence permit after entering Germany without a visa. Alternatively they can apply for a residence permit prior to entry at the German Embassy in Washington or at a German Consulate (currently located in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York or San Francisco). Inquiries can be made at the German Embassy at


Q. How can I obtain a work permit for Germany?

All persons who wish to seek gainful employment in Germany are required to obtain a residence permit in the form of a visa. The residence permit ("Aufenthaltserlaubnis") only allows you to take up gainful employment (employee or self-employment) if the residence permit expressly entitles you to do this.

Once in Germany, the following procedure generally applies for job seekers:

Once you have an offer of employment and have registered your residence, you need to go to the Ausländerbehörde (Immigration Office). Check with your local Einwohnermeldeamt or Rathaus for the exact address and office hours of the Ausländerbehörde in your city.

The Ausländerbehörde will check whether the general legal prerequisites are fulfilled for issuing an "Aufenthaltserlaubnis".

If these are fulfilled, the immigration authorities request approval from the "Bundesagentur für Arbeit" (Federal Employment Agency) for taking up employment in a particular job for which you are applying.


Q. Do I qualify for taking up employment in Germany?

A work permit is only given if the job cannot be filled by a German, EU citizen or other applicants given preferential treatment (e.g. third-country nationals who have been living in Germany for a longer period of time). This is known as the Priority Principle ("Vorrangprinzip"). After a specific period of time has lapsed, it is possible for the U.S. citizen applicant to have the same access to the labor market as German and EU citizens.


Q. How can the Germany-USA Career Adviser service help me find job in Germany?

Our friendly and knowledgable experts will provide you with valuable advice, guidance and insights on how to conduct a successful job search in Germany.

As the market leader in this niche, we can guarantee helpful and timely expert advice tailored to your individual job search needs. No extra phone charges, no contract required. No additional travel costs for seminars of doubtful outcome for your specific search situation. In short: No strings attached.

Contact our Career Adviser team here!


Site Search
Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?

We understand that many situations involving U.S. citizens looking to live and work in Germany are very specific. Frequently, they are not covered by information like on this or other pages in our "Questions & Answers" section.

Our Career Adviser team  has long-standing experience with "difficult cases." Call us toll-free at  1 866 952-6999 for a FREE 15-minute consultation (U.S./Canada)!

Image of Stephan Mayer, Sacramento, CA

"Very helpful. The biggest value was providing information
and advice which I did not know yet.

It has pointed me in some new directions. Useful tips as well as constructive criticism on the resume/CV (Lebenslauf)."

Career Services user Stephan Mayer
Sacramento, CA

Germany-USA Job Mail

You have to be logged in in order to use the Germany-USA Career Center Job Mail agent, and get notified about new career opportunities. It's free! We will notify you as soon as new opportunities open up.

Not a member yet? Create your free Germany-USA Career Center account here!